Sunday, January 29, 2012

iWR II - Santouka Ramen

A friend said, "Whenever I ordered ramen at other ramen store, I would add some spicy pepper flakes in them. But, I don't do that here."

I went there with a Japanese friend and commented, "It is sort of chewy... you know what I mean?
He nodded and said, "I know what you meant.  I like it too and I don't know how to describe that texture ."

Here goes another ramen craze!  This time, it is Santouka Ramen!  Apparently it is a very famous ramen chain store from Japan.  It is always crowded with people and line up every where any time of the time.  I have to go there early 99% of the time to beat the crowd!  I have been there a few times but it felt like they were going to kick me out every time, I could only remember to take picture once.

As usual, I ordered my usual miso ramen but with a combo of fish roe on rice because I was hungry that day but ended up not being able to finish it.  The fish roes were very fresh and hence the sweetness.  I could eat the fish roes without the rice and that makes you wonder how tasty they are!
As for the noodles, I have close to no complaint.  Based on the few times I had been there, there was only once that the noodle was overcooked.  Maybe the chef had a bad day?  o.O   Nevertheless, it is really a nice place for a quick lunch or dinner.  Reasonable price but highly satisfying meal.I realized that the soup base of the ramen differs from time to time even for the same ramen-ya.  However, this is a different story.  The soup base is consistently rich and flavourful.  If any of my friends wanted to try ramen, this is the first place I would bring them to. 





No comments:

Post a Comment