Sunday, January 22, 2012

Goldfish Seafood and Chops

Note: Restaurant will be closed officially on February 05, 2012. 



I was pretty sad when I couldn't make it to my top two choice of the  restaurants during Taste of Yaletown 2011.   My friends were disappointed with the menu at Rodney's Oyster House for this occasion and so, they decided to pick the Goldfish Seafood and Chops.  I didn't know why this restaurant wasn't my first choice for the event but after dining there, I know why. 

Three of us attempted three different appetizers, two different entrees and desserts.  The clam chowder served was pretty disappointing or perhaps that's a different type of clam chowder?  It looks fancy but it was not thick enough.  In fact, my friend felt that it was closed to chicken noodle.

I was being health conscious that night and decided to order the Beet and Spinach Anti-oxidant Salad.  You can't go wrong with salad.  I like the vegetables combinations.  The amount feta cheese was just right too.  I usually don't like feta cheese but I cleaned up my plate! 

The best appetizers -- Tempura Fried Wok Squid.  Crispy on the outside and it was not chewy at all.  The sauce that came with it was sweet and sour but it's not the usual sweet and sour sauce that you get.  We tried our best to figure out what was in it but in the end, we gave up. 






If there is a fish cheek on the menu, I have to order it and so ta da! Pan Roasted Halibut Cheeks! I was excited to try see it. Then after a bite, I regretted I ordered it.  It was overcooked.  The meat was a little tougher than I expected.





The other entree -- Seafood Bouillabaisse -- didn't wow my friend too.  There was a quite a variety of seafood that came with it but that didn't hide the fact that the pasta was overcooked.  The sauce was a little too salty to her liking.





I love creme brulee but this one was another disappointment.  The layer of sugar was obviously burnt as you can see in the picture.


We expected a lot from the chocolate lava cake too but in the end my friend said, "I think the ice cream tasted better."

No comments:

Post a Comment