Thursday, March 8, 2012

Hawker's Delight

I debated about how harsh I should be but in the end, I will be at least honest to my tongue.   I grew up with these types of food in the most well-known food paradise in Malaysia, so my opinions can be very different from others.

Hawker's Delight has gained a lot of good ratings from a lot of people which brought me there to give it a try.  There were not many dishes to choose so I ordered the typical dishes that differentiate the authenticity of it.  



Gado gado is more of an Indonesian food but since I was craving for Pasembur, I ordered it to give it a try.  Disappointment? Definitely.  The sauce was not spicy at all.  The amount of peanuts in the sauce was more than expected but the lack of coconut milk makes it really bland to my liking.  They did not use the usual vegetables for the dish but that is fine for me if they had used vegetables of similar textures.  One can relate it to a type of salad where you get some crunchiness from the vegetables and some flavour from the dressings.  For gado gado, the vegetables were supposed to be blanched but not boiled and potatoes should be cooked but not overcooked.  The final product was too far from what I expected.


Curry laksa is one of the popular dishes, or rather one of the most well-known dishes to non-Malaysians.  The type of noodles they used is not exactly the same but after being in Canada for years, I still can't find the type of noodle used for this widely popular dish.  There wasn't any spices missing from this dish but the coconut milk was not enough.  There should be a strong coconut fragrance coming from the soup but I had to try really hard to taste coconut in the soup.  And obviously, for a non-spicy eater like me, to be able to drink the soup without a second though, that just means the spicy level is really too low compared to the real thing.


I love mee rebus but what they served was a disappointment.  The last time I saw mee rebus, the soup was supposed to be red and it's supposed to be spicy.  What I was served was completely different from my imagination.  I don't know what dish it's supposed to be.  However, if you want a taste of the general food in Malaysia, it does taste like something the locals make.  I just couldn't think that this is the right dish to be called mee rebus.

Is this worth a try? 
Yes, if you were enthusiastic about how Malaysian food tastes like.  The flavour is there but it has not reached the epicness of the real thing.

Will I go again?
Probably not unless I fail to make my own or when I am too lazy to make for my friends who want to know what Malaysian food is.  They are still good enough for beginners to Malaysian food.

No comments:

Post a Comment