Sunday, February 19, 2012

Afternoon Tea @ Fairmont

I have been to the Vancouver International Airport numerous time but this is the first time I went to the Fairmont Hotel right next to it for afternoon tea.  My friend found a good deal on one of those sites that offer special discount.  So we wander there on a nice Saturday afternoon pretending we were rich for once.  We didn't get to sit near the window because it was full.  Oh well :(


The server started us off with a selection of teas.  We get to smell them before ordering.  Both my friend and I ordered the special tea prepared by Fairmont called the Jetsetter.  It's a black tea mixed with a little Chinese tea leaves, I think. 

Before they brought us the goodies for tea time, some fresh berries were served.  The strawberries were just right for me and the blackberries were not too ripe to my liking. 


There were four types of petite sandwiches: salmon on rye bread, egg salad on croissants, chicken with curry on French and vegetarian sandwich on white.  None of them is particular outstanding but I have taken a liking to the vegetarian sandwich made with green apple and cheddar cheese slices and an unknown herb.  I am determined to find out what that herb is because it is a simple quick afternoon snack.


Second layer!  The house-made scones were still hot when we started eating.  It came with some cream cheese and strawberry jam.  I tried both and ended up thinking the scones are better without any of them.  

The desserts are the most disappointing.  Four types of desserts were served.  The cream puffs did not taste fresh;  the cheesecakes were tasteless; the peanut butter squares were hard and I will not try to comment on the lemon tart.  


When we leave, they gave us a small bottle of honey and some Jetsetter tea leaves as souvenir  and it was the happiest thing out of whole tea time experience.  That was my first afternoon tea at a fancy place.  Maybe next time I need to go to a fancier place to make the experience more worth it.


No comments:

Post a Comment