Sunday, February 19, 2012

In love with Brix

Yep! Enter through the curtain!  The atmosphere at Brix is definitely a WOW as I walk through the curtain.  There were candles along the side of the walls are definitely a warm up for a romantic dinner.  No wonder my friend said, "Hopefully your date is going well." when I sent him a picture of the food.  Usually, my friend will check all the reviews for the restaurants before going to a restaurant.  This was a different story because we went late and the special menu was not available for the hours we were there.  So , I had to try my luck with the dishes.



 I was ambitious and feeling lucky at the same time.  We shared an appetizer - Seared sea scallops.  What can I say? Amazing!  The outside of the scallops were very crispy but a little overcooked in the inside that it made the scallops a little chewy.  The scallops came with some duck fried risotto.  That was my first time eating fried risotto.  I was surprised with how tasty it can be.  Overall, the dish is very flavourful but not too overpowering. Definitely an A dish!

The waitress recommended us two entrees. I ordered the recommended Quebec Brome Lake Duck Breast.  That was another very very flavourful dish. What I really like about the dish is the crispiness on the outside.    I think the chef wanted to keep the crispy skin and hence, the meat inside was a little too dry to my liking. The combination of side dishes -- sausages, white beans and carrots, was out of my expectation.  I would never thought of using sausages but it was a good one because the spiciness of the sausages go well with the bland white beans. 




The other entree that we ordered is the Vancouver Island Ling Cod.  I love cod fish for its soft meat.  I think crispiness has become a trend for the restaurant by now.  Yes... crispy fish skin. But wait, it is a delicious one! Lots of spices on it.  In general, the fish was very nicely done.  However, since the fish was very fresh, I thought it would have been better if they did not overcook it for the sake of a crispy skin.  Please do not get me wrong, I like it a lot.  My greedy tongue had a moment thinking that it would have been better if it was cooked in a Chinese style -- steam! Fine! Back to the dish... the lemon risotto that came with it is good but if I were to compare it with the fried risotto from before, I prefer the former one.



Since we had three yummy dishes, we tried the desserts as well.  The Vanilla Bean Panna Cotta did not wow us as much as the Pot du Crème au Chocolat.  The cherries must have been soaked in brandy for a really long time.  I thought I would be drunk the moment I tasted it.  Definitely a good one for brandy lovers.
I promised that I will not tell my friend about this but I cannot hold back now: this is the perfect venue for as simple yet dreamy wedding.  Check this out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment